After work I was feeling a little down (I work in an office one day a week to help fund my study) and I wanted to do something to cheer myself up, so I decided I was going to make bags to keep my dusters, rags and dish cloths in. In my kitchen I dont have a single drawer and 3 of my cupboards don’t have doors on them, as such everything looks messy. It doesnt help that I throw all these cloths in, along with tea towels, all into a great big heap. I do try to keep it neat and tidy, but this doesnt come naturally to me, so why not make it easier, as well as prettier to look at?
So I cut a length of fabric and roughly divided it into two. This is one of my cheap Ikea fabrics and is quite a thick canvass type cotton. I cut it with pinking shears so I didnt have to edge anything. I wanted to label each bag, so it was clear which was which. So I used extremely expensive stencilling, specialised material and fabric pens.
Oh, all right I wrote it on paper, used some beige light cotton which I have no idea where it came from and raided my OH’s Sharpie collection to trace the lettering with. It seemed to work well! I also cut the label with pinking shears, so as to avoid edging it.
I folded the top over, on this piece this is the selvedge, so I didnt even cut that with pinking shears. This is to thread the cord through. I then sewed this down – quickly! I decided to use this as an opportunity to practice speed sewing in straight lines. This skill maybe needed in the not too distant future!
While I was sewing the channels I just sewed them straight over, this was a quick and dirty one, right?
Well, I decided that even for a quick and dirty project I could make it a little neater, so I just tucked in the edges before I sewed it. As I hadn’t even measured the fabric I didnt need to worry about this messing up a seam allowance or simillar. Of course, on a proper project I would have edged everything to make it neat and tidy!
The labels got pinned on and then whizzed around the edges to secure them. Then I just had to sew along one side and the bottom, the way I cut the fabric meant I kept one edge joined together.
So, here they are, all three bags finished, aside from the cord. I havent got any at the moment and I will keep an eye out when I go to the charity shops, but for now they work even if I cant do them up! I am very pleased with these for 45 minutes work, they are bright and cheerful and make me smile. Which is very important!